Media Industries Books, 2010-2013
I am teaching my Media Industries graduate seminar again this spring, and as such, I have once again updated my list of recent books published on the media industries.
For their midterm assignment, my students are able to choose which book they would like to review. They not only write up a book review targeted to a specific journal of their choice, but also briefly present the book to the rest of the class. As part of their presentation, they are asked to situate the book in relation to the literature we have read up to that point in the semester.
Not every book noted below focuses entirely on the media industries, of course, but each provides value to industry researchers in some way. Both scholarly and popular books are provided.
I am sure I have left several notable books of this list. I welcome suggestions for additions or modifications to this list via email (aperren at gsu dot edu) or Twitter (@aperren).
Have any suggestions for additions or changes to the list? Please let me know!
· Noah Arceneaux and Anandam Kavoori, eds., The Mobile Media Reader (2012)
· Ben Aslinger and Nina Huntemann, eds., Gaming Globally: Production, Play and Place (2013)
· Adrian Athique and Douglas Hill, The Multiplex in India: A Cultural Economy of Leisure (2012)
· Patricia Aufderheide, Reclaiming Fair Use: How to Put Balance Back in Copyright (2011)
· Mark Balnaves, Tom O’Regan, and Ben Goldsmith, Rating the Audience: The Business of Media (2011)
· Doris Baltruschat, Global Media Ecologies: Networked Production in Film and Television (2010)
· Sarah Banet-Weiser, Authentic: The Politics of Ambivalence of Brand Culture (2012)
· Nancy Baym, Personal Connections in the Digital Age (2010)
· Aniko Bodrogkhozy, Equal Time: Television and the Civil Rights Movement (2012)
· Raymond Boyle, The Television Entrepreneurs: Social Change and Public Understanding of Business (2012)
· Robert Alan Brookey, Hollywood Gamers: Digital Convergence in the Film and Video Game Industries (2010)
· Karen Buzzard, Tracking the Audience: The Ratings Industry from Analog to Digital (2012)